Thursday 18 October 2012

Wet and windy bank holiday in Auckland

Well, I have flown 36 hours in order to experience a bank holiday weekend not unlike our own in the UK!

It is 3 days before the Age Group event in the ITU World Triathlon Championships, 2 days before the men's elites, and 1 day before the women's elites. And we are all hoping against all logic that the weather will improve. Its currently about 7-10 degrees at night and up to 15 in the day (if you're out of the wind and between showers!) and I've seen a lot of athletes really worried about race day. The organisers are saying no clothing over the top of your national race suit unless its an unbranded clear jacket (who has one of those??!)
This is me at the top of the Savage Memorial, one of the aptly named 4 sharp little climbs on the bike course, which we have to do 4 times.

So on Monday it will be mind over matter. To be honest, after racing in Eton at 10 degrees air temp, and swimming in Shepperton at 9 degrees water temp I am well prepared. Although there is no way I'd have gone out on my bike at home in gale force winds like we had this morning. I rode my bike around the North Shore and investigated lots of lovely areas like Mairangi bay and Brown's Bay. Its a really sport-oriented culture here - many people live here and compete at a high level in all sorts of sports - Surf live saving, netball, rugby as well as swimming for New Zealand. Down at the Millenium high performance centre there are silver ferms every where you look, and even Olympic medal-winners hanging around on poolside coaching the kids. And down at the Triathlon Expo we had Hamish Carter and Javier Gomez (top pro athletes) meeting and greeting the athletes today.

The last week has gone about as well as you could hope - highs being training in the Parnell Baths (above, sea filled and 17 degrees) and the wonderful food and company of the Mckenzies who I am staying with, lows being my ribs still giving me grief, and my luggage not arriving for another 24 hours after I did.
But I'm feeling relaxed and confident ahead of the race, based on having done all the hard work this summer, and testing out the swim course earlier, plus the bike course and going for a blustery beach run yesterday.

The parade of nations was fun, and we all got to wander around in our GB kit while checking out all the other nations kit and deciding what is worth swapping for.
Hope you like the photos, and that this conveys some of the preparations and the excitement ahead of the big event. Hoping to get a good view of the elite women's race tomorrow from the Grandstand, and another couple of days of getting blown about before it all kicks off at 09:20 (GMT-12) on Monday i.e. 9:20pm UK time on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment