Monday 24 September 2012

Back to earth with a bump

Well, I'm back at work now, sitting behind a desk each day, and commuting for the best part of 3 hours a day, just like the rest of society. And its not only a shock, its tough not to eat comfort food all day to get over the depression. I keep reminding myself how much it hurt all day every day to push myself as hard as  I did all summer, not to mention how little money I had and all the times I had to avoid going out anywhere to save cash!

I am 4 weeks away from my last race of the year in Auckland, and its all about staying sharp now. Unfortunately I hampered my own preparations this weekend when I came off my bike- due to my own muppetry - I had failed to properly tighten the cassette on my wheel and the gears slipped in a very inconvenient manner leaving my Vegas tan on the pavement, and a couple of ribs and some other bones bruised.

So now I'm nursing the bruises, and trying to get  in some short sharp interval sessions when I get home from work in time. So tonight I finished training at 9:30pm, and I'm pleased to say my legs still feel great;  I pushed some good intervals out, fuelled rather strangely by Nigella cooking and the Masters of money - a programme about economic theory.

Anyway, I now have to rediscover the balance needed between work, training and sleep to get my best performances. I am so pleased that I decided to spend the summer training full time and I know what it feels like to really push yourself in a way that I would never have been able to otherwise, with the appropriate attention to rest, recovery and conditioning. I think I can maintain my fitness just til the end of this season, with any luck, and hopefully my bruises will mend in time for me to squeeze a couple more races in, before its the long, dark off-season and mince pies, festivities and endless turbo training!

No comments:

Post a Comment